Today my first travel article was published on American website Wandering Educators and I’m so delighted!
It has been a dream of mine for some time to combine my passion for travel with my love of writing – and it is slowly all coming together.
I’ve been writing for many years about a wide range of topics and have picked up a few tips along the way …
- Have an ANGLE. What will differentiate you from all the other travel writers out there? I look for the QUIRKY in all I write about.
- Use your own PHOTOS to give a visual image to support your writing. Mine are taken on a digital SLR – and some are by my friends, professional photographers www.lordmartin.com
- Find your VOICE – one that is appropriate for you, your audience and what you are writing about. I imagine a good friend who wants to know about my latest exploits, gets bored easily and needs a bit of variety.
- Use vocabulary suitable for those who might read your article. I adapt my language slightly depending on who askes me to write.
- Understand HOW you write. Do you need to have peace & quiet? Do you prefer music or silence? I need to do two or three things at once and procrastinate until the last minute!
The main thing I have learnt is that you have to ENJOY it – otherwise there are undoubtedly loads of other things you could be doing … I love it and can’t wait for my next commission!